Why I Use Sesame Oil Every Day – Read This and You Will, Too!
Yes, I use sesame oil every day!
Sesame Oil is a potent antioxidant and an amazing natural conditioner for the skin.
Environmental toxins cause the skin to look old, leathery, and tough.
Sesame oil molecules absorb quickly through the skin and into the tissue to stop inflammatory processes.
This makes your skin look and feel youthful, soft, and resilient.
Sesame seed oil is also a natural sunscreen. If used full strength, sesame oil has an SPF 0f 4.
Sesame Seed Oil is cited in the book The Answer to Cancer Is Never Giving it a Chance to Start by Hari Sharma, M.D., et. al., as a cancer preventative.
Sesame oil has a number of health promoting- qualities. First of all, it soaks through the skin really well, so it can work inside the body an not just on the skin. Also, a study by Dr. Edwards Smith found that people who practice daily sesame oil massage have significantly less bacteria on their skin, which may seem like a modest start to preventing cancer. But it’s a start. The bacteria killer in sesame oil is probably linoleic acid, which makes up 40 percent of the oil. Linoleic acid is also anti-inflammatory, which is good for keeping your joints working smoothly and helping avert arthritis. The oil as a whole is good for your joints. It lubricates them, which is something that joints really appreciate.
One study found that sesame oil actually has anti-cancer effects (particularly anti-skin cancer, which makes sense, and also anti-colon cancer effects. The second one doesn’t make as much sense right off the bat, but the oil seeps in to reach beond the surface of the body.) Japanese researchers have found that sesame oil contains antioxidants, which, of course, are the front line warriors against cancer.
Sesame oil is the perfect ingredient to use as a base for homemade lotions and oils.
Sesame oil’s pleasant nutty aroma mixes well with the other ingredients, and the final product absorbs quickly so the skin is left soft, supple, and not feeling greasy.
ORGANIC SESAME SEED OIL IS A NATURAL PRODUCT WITH MANY THERAPEUTIC QUALITIES:
- Sesame oil is significantly more effective than salt in treating dry nasal membranes.
- Sesame oil is effective in targeting bacteria causing gingivitis.
- Sesame oil contains oleic acid, an effective reducer of serum cholesterol.
- Ayurveda physicians use sesame oil to cure sinusitis and other conditions as nose drops, sniffed back into the sinuses.
- Sesame oil is used as an anti-bacterial throat gargle.
- Sesame oil helps joints and flexibility. When using a massage oil, stroke the long limbs up and down and use circular motions over all joints to stimulate the natural energy of the joints. Sesame Oil is an excellent carrier oil when mixed with essential oils.
HOW TO DO A DAILY OIL MASSAGE (ABHYANGA)
Abhyanga is a vital part of Ayurvedic daily care and a key technique for supple, youthful skin and overall good health.
Instructions for Daily Oil Massage (Abhyanga):
- Heat about 1/4 cup of sesame oil to just above body temperature.
- Start by placing a small amount of the warmed oil on the palms and fingertips and vigorously massage the scalp. Massage the face and outer part of th ears also if you wish, but be gentle.
- Massage both the front and back of the neck, and the upper part of the spine.
- Massage the arms next, using a long, back and forth motion over the long bones and a circular motion over the joints. Massage both arms thoroughly, including hands and fingers.
- Use a very gentle, circular motion to massage over the heart and a clockwise circular motion gently over the abdomen.
- Massage the back and spine next, being careful not to over stretch.
- Massage legs using the same long motion over the leg bones and circular motion over the joints, the same as the arms.
- Last, massage the feet. Use the open part of your hand to massage vigorously back and forth over the soles. Wait about 10-15 minutes, if time allows before showering or bathing.
Recipe for Sesame Oil Lotion
If you don’t have the time to perform the massage daily, you can obtain great benefits from the use of Sesame Oil Lotion. This is very easy to make yourself. The recipe below is adapted from Rosemary Gladstar’s recipe for Rosemary’s Perfect Cream. The recipe is sized perfect for a Magic Bullet, but a blender can be used as well.
2/3 cup distilled water
1/2 cup aloe vera gel
essential oil of choice
3/4 cup sesame oil
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 oz beeswax
Place distilled water, aloe vera gel, and essential oil in Magic Bullet cup. Place sesame oil, coconut oil, and beeswax in pan over very low heat. Heat just long enough to melt. Pour oils into the Magic Bullet cup and blend until creamy. Pour into cream or lotion jars. Store in a cool location.
Why Organic? Commercial oils, grown by agribusiness, use all the agricultural poisions necessary to produce the largest crop. Thre are no molecules of those poisons in organic oil.
Why Cold Pressed? Commercial oils are extracted with strong petroleum based solvents and heat to 450 degrees F. Such heat changes the excellent monounsaturated (oleic acid) fats to trans fats which are poisonous to the body.
Gladstar, R. (2008). Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health. New York: Story Publishing.
Marharishi Ayurveda. “Total Health Solutions” Spring 2010.
Sharma, H., Mishra, R. and Meade, J. “The Answer to Cancer is Never Giving it a Chance to Start”. pp. 114-115. New York: Select Books, Inc., 2002.
Disclaimer: The statements in this article are for educational purposes only and have not been evaluated by or sanctioned by the FDA. Only your doctor can properly diagnose and treat any disease or disorder. The remedies discussed herein are not meant to treat or cure any type of disease. The user understands that the above information is NOT intended as a substitute for the advice of a physician or a pharmacist.